Volunteer with us!

The Citizens Advice Bureau service here in Ross and Cromarty and across Scotland is dependent on volunteers, with almost 80% of staff volunteering their time to help people in their communities.

We are always looking for new volunteer advisers to help us out in our mission to support local people.  This page details what types of roles are available to our volunteers and how volunteering can help us, help the community and help you.

Here’s a short video from Citizens Advice Scotland about volunteering with us:

Get started with us here at the CAB by completing our application form, which you can find below:

Application Form

Find out more about the roles on offer below:

Who can apply to be a CAB adviser?

All sorts of people volunteer as CAB advisers.  Here are some of the things they have in common:

  • Good listener
  • Can work in a team
  • Can read and write English, and do basic arithmetic
  • Are open–minded and don’t judge people or their circumstances
  • Enjoy helping all kinds of people
  • Be prepared to commit around 6 hours each week
Do I need special qualifications or experience to become an adviser?

No!  The CAB adviser training programme and AdviserNet, our web-based information system, will give you a great start in the bureau.

What does an adviser do?

The role of a CAB adviser is very varied.  Here’s some more information on some of the things advisers do in the CAB:

  • Interview clients at the bureau, by phone or in person.  Some bureaux give advice by e-mail or even by mobile phone text messages!
  • Provide information from our information system and other sources
  • Explain the choices the client faces, and what these choices mean
  • Offer practical help to clients by writing letters, making phone calls and helping fill in forms
  • Perform calculations (for example, to assess entitlement to certain kinds of benefits)
  • Refer clients to other agencies if they are better placed to help
  • Keep records of all clients’ cases
  • Prevent future problems by identifying issues that affect a lot of clients – this is called social policy work
  • Some bureau advisers represent clients at tribunals
What support will I be able to get from the CAB?

Don’t worry – you don’t need to know everything to be a CAB adviser!  Citizens Advice Scotland has developed an accredited training programme that will give you the skills you need to deliver a high quality service to clients. Our up-to-the-minute AdviserNet system is full of information you need to help your clients.

There will always be someone in the CAB that you can go to for guidance or support to make sure that you’re giving the right advice.

Once you’re a generalist adviser, you can choose to undertake training and develop specialist skills such as, for example, employment tribunal representation or money advice.

What help will I get from the CAB when I decide to move on from the bureau?

As well as helping you in the CAB, all the training and support you get as a CAB adviser can help you into paid work or further education when it’s time to move on.  It’s a fantastic way of getting some experience in helping people which looks great on a CV or application.

What does an admin do at the CAB?

We see many clients throughout the week here at the CAB and to keep providing services to everybody that comes through our door. Some of the things our admin support do include:

  • Updating and filing client records
  • Providing reception assistance by opening letters, answering calls and e-mails
  • Welcoming clients to the CAB and introducing them to an adviser
  • Arrange appointments for clients