Our History

The Citizens Advice programme first began with bureaux being established across the country in September 1939 as World War II broke out to provide a system of support to people in difficult times.

Over time the mission of the CAB has changed, but still focuses on helping people in need.

The Ross and Cromarty CAB was founded in 1972 to serve the local area and has steadily expanded to further locations.

We launched our first Highland Gathering in 2010 to provide a way of engaging with the community and other CABx nearby to discuss the sort of issues that we deal with.  It has been a great success and is now an annual event that we run every Spring.

In August 2015, the headquarters of the Ross & Cromarty CAB will move from an office on Novar Road, Alness to Suie House, Market Square, Alness.

We aim to continue to build upon the services we provide with more outreach programmes in other parts of Ross and Cromarty, particularly on the West Coast in towns such as Ullapool and Gairloch and providing more ways in which remote citizens can get advice through our web services.